Sunday, February 14, 2010

Support your local merchants at any cost

It is rare to find U.S.A made clothes anymore, but I did manage to find something for a baby shower in down town Bigfork. A baby PJ cost me $31 and change at Merry Gems in Bigfork Montana. I thought the price was a bit high for such a small piece of clothing but it was so lovely so unusual, so American, I couldn’t resist. After leaving the shop it struck me how important customer service is. Customer service and quality is almost a lost art in America, but not in Bigfork, and I’m sure not in other small towns.


There was a time, back in the day, when a woman shopped, and an attendant would assist. If you were looking for gloves, the attendant would pull the gloves out, show them to you, and encourage you to try them on. In the meanwhile, you would chat and talk about the weather or indulge in a little harmless gossip. Shopping was enjoyed, savored, loved for the social qualities of it. You ended up spending "LESS" and appreciating more. But most importantly you walked away with something that lasted practically a lifetime. My mother still has those gloves and she's in her 70s now.



We have become so fat and stupid as a nation we have forgotten to appreciate our own good craftsmanship. We have stopped appreciating art in all its forms in this country. I had to come to a small town to realize that we still have little slices of Americana when it comes to shopping.



When I walked into Merry Gems I had no clue what I was going to purchase. I needed help because I did not know what to buy a baby. I had not had a baby in over 20 years. I asked the attendant what I could buy for a baby shower that was Made in the U.S.A. She was very engaging, she showed me all the possibilities, and the brands made in America. She managed to take care of others without losing her attention on me. That NEVER happens at Wal-mart or Kmart.


One day at KMart I asked the cashier a question, she in turn asked her manager and her manager rolled her eyes at me like I were some sort of knucklehead. I told the manager right then and there, never mind, I'll go somewhere else, and I did. I haven't been to K-Mart since and that was seven months ago.


After making my selection at Merry Gems, I purchased the product, bought a cute hand-made card and handed her the item. She pulled out the box, wrapped it up with lovely baby-color ribbon and handed it to me. She then turned and picked up a little package of chocolates tied with a bright red ribbon and gave them to me. I popped one of those chocolates in my mouth right away and it was like I’d just tasted heaven. I’ll have to go back and get some more.



This shopping trip was a real one, there was no pushing and shoving, no checking yourself out at a line with your debit card. There was no impulse buying. I may have spent $31, but I would have spent a lot more on junk if I had shopped at a discount store. Because what is the first thing one does at Wal-Mart? We pull out a shopping cart. It is not a small shopping cart either we have, it's a BIG one. They want you to fill it up, and it usually costs more than $31!


This adventure in Buying American is becoming much more fun than I thought. Shopping shouldn't be about spending money, but about human interaction and appreciation and courtesy. The real bonus to this whole experience, was that I purchased a soft and beautiful AMERICAN made product for a new life. Perhaps this baby will wear his PJs and become a leader in appreciating American made goods and supporting local small business. We can only hope.

1 comment:

  1. Where's the picture of the baby pj's? would love to see them.

    ReplyDelete